Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 09:30:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>, Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>, Joe Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

On Wed, 3 May 2000, spork wrote:

> On Tue, 2 May 2000, Brad Knowles wrote:
>
> > 	The testing I've done so far confirms what Greg Lehey and
> > everyone else has been telling me all this time -- dedicated RAID
> > controllers just really can't keep up with a good software solution
> > (such as vinum, or even ccd) and modern hardware.
>
> Last I looked though, vinum cannot protect you from loss of your boot
> device.  For some applications this may not be terribly important, but if
> you cannot afford to bring the machine down, the hardware solution starts
> to look better.

This is one of the primary reasons we want to go for hardware RAID. No
downtime and no reinstall of the OS. We value this over the ultimate
performance. Also, can a software RAID solution be better than hardware
when the CPU is at 100% utilisation?

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)