Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:11:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        info@pagecreators.com (Rod Ebrahimi)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hourly wages

Rod Ebrahimi stands accused of saying:

> 	I was very curious as to what the average FreeBSD admin and/or
> consultant normally charges for setup and implementation...

That depends on whether you persistently badly indent your mail messages 8)

My stock setup fee is AUD$500 flat for a basic-service machine (mail,
web proxy, empty http server), and AUD$100/hr. beyond that.  The flat
fee has actually proven very successful in attracting customers, as
they know up front what they (think they) are in store for.  (Most of
them get carried away with all the New Stuff and buy more time, but
that's their own choice.)

But.  Your stated goal is to run an IAP, not set up a one-off office
system.  You don't want a one-off setup, you want at least a
part-time, if not full-time admin for at least a couple of weeks.

That sort of contract position I'd normally ask AUD$60/hr. for,
particularly if you were expecting me to be responsible for things
such as your fundamental security and QOS.  I'd want a pretty
significant say in your purchasing and strategy decisions, and a good
line to someone with authority to spend money in a hurry if required.

Beyond that, you're likely to want an admin on call, and possibly
working a day a week.  If you're serious, you could probably negotiate
a pretty good maintenance deal; I haven't been in that market, so I
haven't costed it out, but something around AUD$50/hr for an 8-hour
day would not be unreasonable, on a 6-month contractual basis.

Note that there is considerable virtue in using the same admin(s) for
repeat business; you don't really want to pay each new one for a
couple of hours of learning time where they're not actually helping
you.

(For reference, AUD$1 ~= US$0.75.  Labour rates may vary to some degree
 depending on your area.)