Date:      Sat, 01 May 1999 12:14:58 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        jgrosch@mooseriver.com, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Mark Heath <mheath@netspace.net.au>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif not available?

> > I spoke to several people at XIG about Motif for FreeBSD 3.x. They assured
> > me they are working on a version and will be shipping at the beginning of
> > this summer. It would be a good idea if people called them and asked when
> > they will be shipping Motif for FreeBSD. Metro Link (www.metrolink.com) and
> > Apps2go (www.apps2go.com) are now shipping Motif 2.1.10 for FreeBSD 3.x
>
> That's what they told me, when I asked them 5 months before
> FreeBSD-current went elf.  I explained in very plain language what was
> happening, and why they should bring out a new version.  They said they
> were, so I began to ask them once a month "where is it, here's my money,
> please take it".  About 6 months later, they finally admitted they'd
> done nothing on it, and they weren't going to.  They'd lied to me the
> whole time.

That's completely typical for that company.  I spent a full year
trying to force money on them for one of their products for a
different platform and got vague promises, serious promises,
long silences, rude responses -- everything possible except the
product.

> Maybe they've changed their mind again.  They now have 2 competitors,
> and a bunch of old customers who were screwed.  I don't think it's a
> great idea to wait too long on XIG *finally* coming to market with an
> ELF Motif.

Even if they do, their other unattractive habit is arbitrarily
abandoning customers who have invested money for a product that
they lose interest in or running on a platform that they lose
interest in.  Definitely a company to avoid.

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>