Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 11:23:07 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Iasen Kostoff <tbyte@tbyte.org>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: routing socket and routes assignment

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Jesper Skriver wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 02:28:51PM +0300, Iasen Kostoff wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	I have a problem in assigning a default gateway from network that
> > my computer's interfaces don't have IP from.
>
> All routes should have a next-hop on a directly connected
> interface.
>
> /Jesper
>
> --
> Jesper Skriver, jesper(at)skriver(dot)dk  -  CCIE #5456
> Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
> Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)
>
> One Unix to rule them all, One Resolver to find them,
> One IP to bring them all and in the zone to bind them.

The gateway is directly connected and I think this is obvious and should
not even be discused. The IP address of the gateway is not from
network that the computer is. But there is a route throu interface to it
and the kernel still refuses to use that gateway with error ENETUNREACH.
  And I wrote a patch which allows kernel to set that route. It's kinda
unfinished still but it works. Even now (without the patch) you can set
this route but it's not straight forward and I don't think that's the
right way to be done.

Regards.