Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 18:06:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Boot problems with 2.2.7 CD in machine with AMI bios

I have a new machine which will not boot from the FreeBSD install CD
(tried 2.2.7 and 2.2.5).  The BIOS spins up the CD drive, but simply
reports "boot record not found", then goes on to try the other configured
boot devices.

However:

a) Windows NT 4.0 install CD _will_ boot in this machine.
b) FreeBSD recognizes the CD fine if booted from floppy.
c) FreeBSD install CD will boot OK in another machine I have (Award BIOS).

The problem machine has an AMI BIOS, datecode 05/06/98, with the version
given on the setup screen as V1.16.

The motherboard is "PC-Chips" brand, SiS chipset with embedded VGA, K6/300
CPU, CD as master on the second IDE channel.  I have tried various
combinations of BIOS configuration options, but all seem to behave exactly
as expected, other than that the BIOS does not recognize the FreeBSD CDs.

Any ideas?

Obviously this isn't a problem for me so far as ordinary installing goes
(as it works fine booted from floppy), but I bought this machine for the
express purpose of experimenting with making no-hard-drive CD-booted
FreeBSD systems, and it looks like I'm doomed to failure before I even
start!