Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 20:39:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        James Raynard <fdocs@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New section: development

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, James Raynard wrote:

> Absolutely.  (This is one of the reasons why I've not been in any great
> hurry to post it for discussion).
>
> > Imagine
> > you're a (good) documentary filmmaker doing a piece on neo-NAZI
> > skinheads - some of what you're filming may be personally distasteful
> > but it's not your job to judge it, simply to portray it accurately.
>
> Rather a strange analogy (I didn't realise our relations with the Linux
> camp were quite that bad :-) but I've certainly tried very hard to be
> objective and to be fair to all sides.  The emphasis is very much on
> clearing up common misconceptions about FreeBSD, *not* on providing
> ammo to re-kindle old flame wars (or start new ones).

I can understand Jordan's response.  He's not (I think) trying to draw any
analogy with Linux/FreeBSD relations, he's referring to the tone of many
of the posts that you see on Usenet, when the Linux camp's more strident
hotheads decide they've been affronted.  Just understand that you'll be
speaking both to FreeBSD [newcomers,enthusiasts] AND to a certain
percentage of Linux hotheads who no one really wants to stir up.  If you
can clearly defend anything you say, and you do it evenhandedly, this
probably won't be a problem.  Do a standard Madison Avenue advertising
job, and we'll be hearing about it (loudly) for years.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |