Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:40:33 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Christian Baer <christian.baer@uni-dortmund.de>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4K sectors on the drive, bigger sectors for geli and newfs?

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 06:37:59PM +0200, Christian Baer wrote:
> Hi folks!
>=20
> A few days ago I installed a new drive that I would like to encrypt with
> geli. It's one of the new ones with 4K sectors which means I have to
> partition it differently than the older drives I have.
>=20
> What I did so far:
>=20
>   gpart create -s gpt /dev/ad6
>   gpart add -b 2048 -t freebsd-ufs /dev/ad6
>=20
> That should align the partition correctly.
> pjd wrote in a post, that geli uses more than one key for larger file
> systems, so I am quite happy to create a single (2TB) partion and file
> system.
>=20
> Due to the nature of the files that will mostly be stored on the drive
> (digital photographs in raw format), my newfs will look something like
> this (my idea):
>=20
>   newfs -L raw -O ufs2 -U -f 4096 -b 32768 -i 2097152 /dev/ad6p1.eli
>=20
> An inode every 2^21 bytes should do fine. Most of the files on the drive
> (I expect something like 90%) will be 7MB or larger.
>=20
> Any objections so far? Would it make sense to make the frags and blocks
> even larger?
>=20
> Considering that, I'm wondering how to init geli, especially using the
> -s option.
>=20
>   geli init -e aes-xts -l 256 -s $NUMBER /dev/ad6p1
>=20
> It stands to reason that $NUMBER should not be smaller than 4096 bytes
> since the drive itself doesn't have anything smaller to offer. :-) What
> would be a good value? 4096 or 32768 or something else? What does this
> default to?

It defaults to reported sector size of the underlying provider, so 512
bytes, I guess. In my opinion 4096 is optimal. Larger sectors are
problematic, because if sector size it is larger than page size various
tools will have problems with mmap(2)ing files.

--=20
FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://yomoli.com

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy