Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 16:25:17 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@fourier.physics.purdue.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Removable media, user access

Background:

Currently we are running from FreeBSD-current, a week old or so, rebuilt
with custom modifications (mostly to initial setup to reflect changes we
make by hand, but with some additions such as entombing).  Some machines
go to users (without root access) and some go to the 'lab' where multiple
users (again without root access) use them.  As with single user machines
(such as macintoshes and often windows setups) and as seen in versions of
Solaris/SunOS, the _users_ wish to _use_ the removable media, floppys,
zips, CD's, LS-120s, etc.

Issue:
We've been using der automounter for this; however, der automounter is
designed for NFS usage (and does wonderful at it) and it has features such
as program file systems, pcfs filesystems, etc. that allow for direct
mounting of file systems (without NFS usage); however, these do not handle
rugged, frequent, normal (what you'd expect for normal people to do)
usage.

Example:
Zip drive gets mounted to /PATH/zip.  It is accessed from /zip (cd /zip
automounts /dev/da2s4 on /PATH/zip.) with security added such that only
the owner of /dev/console (and root) may access the drive (part of the
program mount); however, if you access /zip without a drive in the zip
drive (frequently done at boot up, and by idiots -- this is where
IDIOT-PROOFING comes in, and acidents -- whoops, wrong direcotry) locks
out /zip.

Question:
Do we have any reliable mechanism, be it modification/configuration of der
automounter or something else, to give the users of X (and their telnet
windows) complete access to the removable media, without giving it to
others, which recognizes AND DOESN'T BREAK!!!! switching the removable
media well?

-jonsmith

"If kisses could kill (gulp), that one would have flattened several small
towns...."
	Vir Cotto, Babylon 5

"Tu was du willst."
        Die Unendliche Geschichte, von Michael Ende

"Do as you wish."
        The Neverending Story, by Michael Ende

The Microsoft Soloution, "newfs && make reinstall"

	Jon C. Smith   (765)49-48628 PHYS 31h
	 jonsmith@fourier.physics.purdue.edu
	1396 Physics Building, West lafayette
	Purdue Univesity, Indiana  47906-1396