Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 14:17:32 -0800
From:      "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@vicor-nb.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: re-entrancy and the IP stack.

I recommend you all look at The Click Modular router

http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/click/

which is a step in the right direction.

Of course given the current architecture it may be very hard
to adapt it to this kind of model.

I led/worked on a project at Wind River Systems to do a multi-instance
stack based off of the 4.4 BSD lite code.   I can tell you that without
quite a bit of rearchitecting what you get is always a hack.

There are (were?) over 100 global variables in the 4.4BSD lite code.  I've
not counted on 4.4 or -CURRENT so I can't say.  There are also the issues
of the locks though I suspect in -CURRENT (since the kernel is MP) you
have handled these in some way.

An extensible, multi-threaded TCP/IP would NOT look like the 4.4BSD-Lite code.

Is this a goal of FreeBSD now?  I am working on some things to make this
possible
but it is independent of FreeBSD and very very early days as yet.

Later,
George