Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:54:15 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>
Cc:        jud@operamail.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limitations of BSD-slices.

In the last episode (Dec 30), Bjarne Wichmann Petersen said:
> On Sunday 30 December 2001 21:13, Jud wrote:
> > The last I saw, the 1024th cylinder limitation was still in effect
> > if using FBSD's bootloader, though someone else may know different.
> > GRUB, which I've only used a short time but am quite happy with,
> > says it will boot an OS beyond the 1024th cylinder if your disks do
> > LBA.  LBA isn't exactly a new thing, so I assume this will work for
> > most people.
>
> Hmm... I thought it wass the OS itself that imposed that limitation
> and not the bootloader... gotta test this... ;)

Nope.  Actually, boot0 can use packet mode if you BIOS supports it.
"boot0cfg -o packet" enables it.  I don't know how you set this flag
during installation, though.  I know this flag works, because my FreBSD
partition is on cylinders 3500-4500 of a 4500-cylinder drive.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com