Date:      Tue, 07 Jan 1997 16:29:06 -0800
From:      "Gregory J. Cusick" <gcusick@harris.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   install questions

I tried posting this to the newsgroup but did not get any response. I
hope that you could spare a moment to clear up some information
regarding installation of FreeBSD:

1)  What exactly is meant by installing FROM an msdos partition?
I understand the required file structure must be replicated within this
partition.  The does the installation process install FreeBSD OVER (on
top of) this partition (and then changes the partition ID to a5 or
whatever)?

2)  Is it possible to install FreeBSD to/over more than one partition on
the drive?  If so, should these be extended dos partitions?

3)  I'm interested in development so I would like to have all sources,
X, etc.  What should I be looking at in terms of disk space as a
minimum?

I only have one drive (1.6GB) which will be shared by win95 and
FreeBSD.  I understand that I have to have win95 installed first and
also that
the root slice (sub-partition) must lie before cylinder 1024.  I just
want to make sure that the partition sizes will be adequate in size
while also meeting the disk location requirements.

I've looked for these specific things but have been unable to find them.
I hope you can help me out or point me to the information.

THANKS!

Greg
(Looking forward to running FreeBSD soon!)