Date:      Fri, 31 Jan 1997 08:59:57 -0800
From:      Jason Fesler <jfesler@calweb.com>
To:        Brian Burton <brian@burton-computer.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail 8.8.5

At 09:21 AM 1/31/97 -0500, Brian Burton wrote:
>Are there any plans by the FreeBSD team to update FreeBSD 2.1.6-stable
>to use sendmail 8.8.5 in the light of the latest cert advisories?

Or even better, not to include sendmail at all :-)  but to instead grab the
current version, and "sh makesendmail", and then merely bring in the
FreeBSD sample config files?  It seems that nearly every single version of
Sendmail that's been released, was due to a  security flaw that could lead
to root access..

(I hate upgrading even more so than most.. we have a handful of hacks that
I have to migrate on every release, for internal security/logging as well
as for some workarounds to new sendmail 8.8 behaviors wrt to reading
hostnames off of the ethernet device..)

--
           Jason Fesler  jfesler@calweb.com  Internic: 'whois jf319'
            Admin, CalWeb Internet Services   http://www.calweb.com