Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:12:12 -0700
From:      "Sean Noonan" <noonans@watkinscontracting.com>
To:        <mrb@bmyster.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: NAT and PPPoE problems

------=_NextPart_000_0192_01C39161.BDB5F660

> Here are the docs i used when using ADSL w/ PPPoE  and NAT w/ IPFW
> there are 2 writeups here ...first is PPPoE (im assuming you already know
> how to compile your kerel ?) 2nd is  Duel Home host ...and how to setup
> NAT.

Hi Brent,

About the only differences I see in your config vs. mine is that you've
compiled NETGRAPH support directly into
the kernel (but it's my understanding that this was no longer explicitly
needed), and you manually configure the
ed1 interface in rc.conf.  I also notice that you specify NOT to use ARP
(-arp) when you config the interface,
which I don't specify (and the default is to use ARP).

I'll try making the kernel change and the interface config change and see if
makes a difference.

The second doc is basically exactly what I used to do when I used plain-old
Ethernet.  However, as the doc
states, "If the outside interface is ... a PPP-over-Ethernet (PPPoE) DSL
connection, use ppp(8)'s NAT facility
instead", which is what I'm trying to do ;-)

NAT over plain-old Ethernet works just fine for me.

Thanks again,

Sean.

No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of Watkins Contracting, L.P., with another
party by email without express written confirmation by an Officer of the company.  In addition, any views or opinions
presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Watkins Contracting, L.P.
Employees of Watkins Conracting, L.P., are expressly required not to make defamatory statements and not to infringe or
authorize any infringement of copyright or any other legal right by email communications.  Any such communication is contrary
to company policy and outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned.  The company will not accept any
liability in respect of such communication, and the employee responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other
liability arising.

------=_NextPart_000_0192_01C39161.BDB5F660--