Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 09:19:26 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Oliver=20Humpage?= <suzt_78@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        oliver@watershed.co.uk
Subject:   formatting 'unused space'

Sorry, this is an embarrassingly newbie question...

A 20GB disk in my mail server was about to die, so I
did an emergency dd(1) of its contents over to a new
40GB drive. So now, on the new drive, I have a 20GB
partition (with /, /usr and /var on it), and 20GB of
"unused" space.

Is it possible to fdisk (and presumably disklabel)
this spare 20GB? I don't want to do anything fancy
with it, just to have it mounted as /spare_space or
similar. And since this is our main mail server, I
don't really want to wipe the whole disk and restore
from tape...

I couldn't tell from `man fdisk` whether you can
format one partition without wiping the whole drive.
Can you in fact just ask for the unused space to be
"FreeBSD" in sysinstall, and it won't touch your other
partitions? Or if fdisk won't do it, is there anything
that can?

Many thanks,

Oliver.

(Posted from Yahoo!, since our ISP doesn't do reverse
lookup on IPs, and the mailing list rejects me...)

--
Oliver Humpage
ICT Co-ordinator