Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 1997 22:58:53 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        jlk@pavilion.co.uk (Josef Karthauser)
Subject:   Re: probing scsi bus after boot?

As Josef Karthauser wrote:

> Either I use rmt, but I've not found a way of rmt'ing as root on the
> remote site (please someone let me out of my misery.)

~root/.rhost

It would be neat to see ssh support for this, though.

> 	# scsi -f /dev/rst0 -p
> 	scsi: unable to open device /dev/rst0: Device not configured

Chicken-and-egg problem.  Don't use -p btw., use -r.  But still, you
need at least one device that has been successfully probed on your
SCSI bus before, in order to hook the `rescan' ioctl into the kernel
(any device fits, so you could pick /dev/rsd0.ctl).

NB: this used to hang your machine with various SCSI adapters in the
past, but recent 2.2 (and -current) systems seem to work well with it.

--
cheers, J"org