Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 22:24:39 +0200
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, nsayer@kfu.com, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware locks FreeBSD 4.0 solid

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 03:27:01PM -0500, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> To follow up: Taking MFS out of the picture seems to clear up the
> problems.  I've been beating the heck out of it for a while now, and
> the system is still stable.  Excellent diagnosis, Matt!
>
> VMware seems to look at the TMPDIR env variable, so I'll be making
> sure to set that to /var/tmp before running VMware ;-)
>
> I wonder if they just started doing this (mmapping a large file in
> $TMDIR) in 2.0?  I was running a demo of 1.x with no problems a few
> months back...

I am not using an MFS but I still see lockups when I run vwware giving
it 64MB of RAM (out of 128MB on my machine). When I give it 48MB,
it seems to work okay. This certainly did not happen 3-4 months ago
with vmware 1.2.

If I fnd some time tomorrow I'll try to see to get a ps output when
the system hangs.

-Guido