Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:14:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Emmanuel DELOGET <pixel@DotCom.FR>
To:        rivers@dignus.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Hackers Mail List)
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support

As the well known Thomas David Rivers said...
-> As it happens, on UNIX, nope - I quit doing that... for one
-> very good reason.  When I start something from an ICON, typically
-> stderr is directed "away".  And, typically, UNIX programs (including
-> such mostly-GUI applications as Netscape) write useful information
-> to stderr.
	Clicking on an icon and getting the result of the command
	is allways possible. Classical WMs/desktops need work to do this
	(redirect stderr to something, such as a file, and display
	the content of this file if anything goes wrong). It's not
	a problem.
->
-> So - after struggling for awhile with a particular problem, then
-> trying to run the program from the command line and seeing the nice/helpful
-> message which would have prevented a lot of frustration... I quit
-> starting things by "clicking."
->
->	- Dave Rivers -