Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 2014 00:30:15 +0000
From:      dgmm <freebsd01@dgmm.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sane - scanimage asks for password

Hi folks,

I just used sane recently for the first time in some while.  I do regular=20
portsnap/portupgrade and something has changed with sane since I last used =
it. =20
When I run scanimage it asks for the users password on localhost.

=46rom the command line, that's not a big deal but running Gimp from the de=
sktop=20
causes Gimp to stop when initialising the xsane plugin.  That can be worked=
=20
around by running Gimp from a terminal but I'd much rather know why scanima=
ge=20
is asking for the password and how to either stop it asking or set it up to=
 it=20
knows how to read the password.

The installer and man page both list some info which I either don't underst=
and=20
or am simply getting wrong.

My main interest at this stage is finding out what "resource" is in=20
~/.sane/pass

man page and googling around only tells me that ~/.sane/pass is line of the=
=20
format user:password;resource but I don't know what resource ought to be.

The user is in group operator and devfs.rules assigns group operator to=20
/dev/ugen4.2 and dev/usb/4.2.0, mode 0666

Also,
%cat /usr/local/etc/devd/saned.conf=20
notify 100 {
        match "system" "USB";
        match "subsystem" "INTERFACE";
        match "type" "ATTACH";
        match "cdev" "ugen[0-9].[0-9]";
        match "vendor" "0x04A9";
        match "product" "0x1908";
        action "chown -L dave:dave /dev/$cdev && chmod -L 660 /dev/$cdev";
};

(The chown line has been tried with operator:operator, root;operator,=20
saned:saned and dave:saned etc)

scanimage -L
Password for dave on localhost?=20
device `pixma:04A91908' is a CANON Canoscan 9000F multi-function peripheral

Any helpful pointers gratefully accepted.