Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:36:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New installation - some points and a problem

Greetings;

I'm far from being a newcomer to computer system admin, but I have to
admit to being a complete newcomer to freebsd.

I'm starting a project to install freebsd on an old-ish PC and I think
I've solved a couple of points already, where the documentation might
have been a little more helpful to newcomers.  But now I seem to be
stuck, so I thought I would raise these issues with the list.

Background: the PC is an Elonex PC-425X, with two disks, the first one
is 100MB and the second, 408MB.

The previous setup had MS-DOS on the first disk, and an oldish version
of slackware linux on the second disk, with LILO making the selection
at boot-up time.  This previous installation might be relevant as I
explain later, which is why I'm mentioning it here.

The plan was to install freebsd on the second disk instead of linux,
while leaving MS-DOS alone on that old 100M disk.

Installation method is FTP via an NE2000-comaptible ethernet card.
Initially I was using the installer diskette 2.2.7, yesterday I moved
to 2.2.8.

So much for background.

The first problem was, that at the "probing devices" stage, the
display showed the "probing devices...may take a while" screen,
there was some activity at first, and then it just sulked.

Thinking that I had some device(s) in the PC that were causing
problems, I went to a lot of trouble stripping things down to a basic
system, but this made no change to the symptoms.  Only then did
someone suggest that by using ALT/F2 I could see how far the device
probing was getting before it started to sulk, and this might give a
clue as to what the problem was.

When I did that, I could see that it was detecting the first disk,
noting an MS-DOS file system, detecting the second disk, and then
sulking.

As a "stab in the dark", I made a wild guess that maybe it disliked
what was already on that disk, so I used MS-DOS FDISK to re-assign the
second disk (which had a linux swap partition and a linux file system
on it) to be a single DOS partition, and then I reformatted it with
DOS.

Having done that, the installer proceeded to find the second disk
_and_ find the DOS file system on it, and then was able to proceed to
FTP installation.

So there are my two points where I feel that clearer newbie
installation documentation could have helped:

* the use of ALT/F2 to view the progress of the device probing,

* some mystery with the installer not understanding the linux
filesystems that had been present on the second disk.

OK, so then I applied the Novice installation procedure. I told it to
use "A"ll of the second disk for the freebsd system using its
automatic assignment.  So far, so good. This seems to have been
substantially successful, and it congratulated me on having installed
freebsd.

However, I find that I am unable to boot from hard disk.  Perhaps
there is even more than one problem.

The normal PC boot brings up LILO as before, in spite of the fact that
I _thought_ I had told it to install the freebsd boot manager. I
suspect I may have misunderstood the instructions about that(?).

If I boot from the installation diskette, and at the prompt, try to
boot the hard-disk kernel by specifying 1:wd(2,a)kernel (am I right in
thinking this should be possible, or not?) it gets some way into the
startup, then just after it's found the two hard disks on wdc0, and
noted the absence of wdc1, I see this:

---snip---
npx0: 387 emulator
RTC BIOS diagnostic error 17<memory_size,invalid_time>
changing root device to wd2s1a
panic: cannot mount root

syncing disks... done
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - ...
---snip---

This is where I'm stuck.  What should I do now, please?

best regards