Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 08:05:18 -0500
From:      keyser@clio.rice.edu (Kevin Keyser)
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: frozen virtual terminals on Dell system

> >the hardware for which I have the kernel configured.  At some point
> >(not coincident with any other event I can think of) the system stops
> >responding to all keyboard input, just as if the keyboard had been
> >unplugged.  I can still login across the network and everything else
> >seems healthy.  I can echo something to /dev/ttyv0 and it shows up
>
> FreeBSD 2.1.X has an annoying habit of occasionally loosing keyboard
> interrupts. In addition, the conflicting access to the keyboard
> controller by the console driver and the PS/2 mouse driver is not
> handled well.  All this leads to keyboard lock up or frozen mouse
> movement.

Two questions:

Has this improved with 2.2.X?

What particular hardware setups cause this problem to show itself?
I have a 2.1.0R system (P5/60/PCI/EISA) which has never had this
behavior.

> However, the rest of the system is fine even if this happens, as you
> have discovered.  When keyboard lock up occurs next time, login via
> network and try the following command (you may need to be root to do
> this). It may just work:
>
>     kbdcontrol -r fast < /dev/ttyv0

OK, this is a step in the right direction.  I tried it and the problem
cleared up briefly only to return again.  Sometimes it takes muliple
executions of this command to have an effect, but at least I do not
have to reboot to have some use of the console.  Many thanks.

> One last comment:
>
> >psm0: disabled, not probed.
> When psm0 is enabled, is it recognized? If so you should see:
>
>     psm0 at 0x60-0x63 irq 12 on motherboard

Yes, it is recognized when enabled and this is exactly the message I see.

> Kazu

Kevin Keyser
keyser@clio.rice.edu