Date:      Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:01:00 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@simplenet.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NODESCRYPTLINKS=true doesn't work

Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Maybe I'm just too dumb...  It's my understanding that the
> purpose of the ``NODESCRYPTLINKS'' option in make.conf is
> to prevent overwriting the libcrypt symlinks in /usr/lib.
> Well, it doesn't work.
>
> I cvsupped today in the morning (~ 9:00 UTC on Sunday), added
> NODESCRYPTLINKS=true to /etc/make.conf, "make buildworld",
> "make installworld", and couldn't log in anymore because
> the symlinks had been set to libscrypt (and I'm using DES
> passwords).

	Hmmm.... If you ARE using DES passwords, don't you want to have crypt
linked to it so you CAN use DES passwords? As I understand it, the
purpose of the NODESCRYPTLINKS is to allow the "real" DES libraries to
be on the system but have crypt link to the md5 versions. Maybe I don't
understand what you're trying to accomplish here...

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"