Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:32:15 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>, Matthew Fleming <mdf356@gmail.com>
Cc:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701@jasonhsu.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best way to switch from Linux to BSD

--On March 29, 2011 8:20:04 PM +0200 Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 10:51 -0700, Matthew Fleming wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Here too. How is "desktop support" on FreeBSD lacking?
>>
>> I realize a desktop means many things to many people, but the biggest
>> thing holding me back from using FreeBSD on a desktop is flash
>> support.  I spent a little time trying to follow online instructions
>> and I didn't get anything working.
>
> Lack of Flash support - a proprietary closed exploit-ridden hellhole -
> sorry, I mean - "application" - that's in no way tied to FreeBSD and
> controlled by a legendarily uncompetent company that blantantly refuses
> to release a FreeBSD version of this very fine and awesome rootkit (a
> good decision that one can only support, so really, what's the issue) is
> hardly something that could even remotely be FreeBSD's fault. I mean,
> this is what we're talking about:

Michal, calm down.  No one is blaming FreeBSD for any of this.  But
seriously, man, install FreeBSD - no ports - then run a desktop system for
me.  You can't.

That's how silly your argument is.  You can't do it, because FreeBSD does
not have a system-installed desktop.  Even Xorg is a port.

No way is the crap that other people (like Adobe) put out the fault of
FreeBSD, but by the same token, you can hardly claim FreeBSD is good
desktop system when it doesn't even have a display system without the use
of ports.

Flash may be riddled with holes (it clearly is) but those are Windows
holes.  If I'm running flash on FreeBSD (if I can even get it working), I
could care less about Windows exploits.  It may come as a shock to you (it
certainly seems to) but there are actually legitimate reasons for needing a
functional flash installation.

Nothing can be all things to all people.  FreeBSD is a fantastic server OS.
As a desktop OS, not so much.

Since this is rapidly descending into bizarro world, I'll let you have the
last word.  You clearly are eager to defend FreeBSD to the hilt, no matter
how ridiculous your argument becomes.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst