Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2007 12:44:07 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd / gateway / parental control

Norberto Meijome wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 22:46:10 +0200
> Momchil Ivanov <slogster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 4) Forget about the DSL router. Box with wireless NIC, 1 NIC for home net, 1
>> NIC for the DSL
>> 	- same as above, just have to tell your box how to connect to your ISP
>
> ok, this is interesting. You mean, plug the phone line straight into, say,
> fxp1 ? and then using ppp to connect over PPoE to your ISP?
>
> I had originally thought of getting a DSL card , but there doesn't seem to be
> any ADSL2/2+ supported.

A phone line is RJ11 and can be only a single pair; ethernet cables which go
into a fxp NIC are RJ45 and have four pairs.  :-)  If you wanted to connect
the phone line directly, you'd rightly need to get a DSL PCI card.

However, you can connect a DSL modem into one side in bridge mode, and have
the output of the DSL modem connect to a FreeBSD machine via ethernet which
uses PPP to do the PPPoE/PPPoA negotiation, or you can use a "broadband
router/switch" to do that, instead.

Regards,
--
-Chuck