Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:47:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Christian Kratzer <ck@cksoft.de>
To:        Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: break up cyclic dependency openldap21 <-> cyrus-sasl2

Hi,

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Oliver Eikemeier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to enable OpenLDAP 2.1 SASL support. It is easy to patch
> net/openldap21 and security/cyrus-sasl2 so that they compile with each
> other, but then I've got a cyclic dependency cyrus-sasl-2.1.12 ->
> openldap21-2.1.16 -> cyrus-sasl-2.1.12. Obvioulsy portupgrade doesn't
> like cyclic dependencies. FreeBSD Porter's Handbook
> <http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/>;
> does not mention this, so I am stuck.

the questions here is what are you trying to do with cyrus-sasl and
openldap.

Some background:
1) Openldap can use sasl for authentication.
2) Cyrus-sasl comes with an ldap auth component that it
   can optionally be built with.

We could break this cyclic dependency by moving the external ldap
auth component of cyrus-sasl2 into a separate port / package.

Hoewer this is usually not necessary as you propably dont need both
functionalities at the same time.

For example if you use ldap to manage your users in an isp environment
you might use cyrus-sasl2 with saslauthd.ldap to authenticate
smtp relay users from ldap.  You will then propably not use sasl
with your ldap server.

Greetings
Christian

--
CK Software GmbH
Christian Kratzer,         Schwarzwaldstr. 31, 71131 Jettingen