Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:40:26 -0500
From:      Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
To:        Michelle Sullivan <michelle@sorbs.net>
Cc:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, herbert@oslo.ath.cx, Jason Unovitch <jason.unovitch@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 10.2-Beta i386..what's wrong..?

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 02:19:20AM +0200, Michelle Sullivan wrote:
> Why is zfs on i386 so hard?

zfs is a resource hog.  i386 is not able to handle the demand as well
as amd64.

I have never, ever, heard of anyone who has a deep understanding of
zfs on FreeBSD recommend anything other than amd64.  (Note: I am not
such a person, so I am simply reporting my understanding.)

FWIW, I tried it once.

Once.

After spending a few days inspecting all the bullet holes in my feet,
I moved it off that i386 machine and all the bullet holes healed up.

tl;dr: zfs/i386 Not Recommended.  But YMMV.

mcl