Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 21:31:34 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        "Rafter Man" <rafter@linuxmail.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The Hurd

On Tuesday 01 January 2002 20:14, Rafter Man wrote:

> So my question is: Will FreeBSD take a good look at the Hurd?

I tried the Hurd in 1999 and wasn't very impressed, just downloaded the H2
ISO but haven't tried it yet. The only thing that makes the Hurd look like
Unix is the POSIX compat layer. The advantages of a microkernel vs (pseudo)
monolothic are well known, as well as disadvantages. Of course I can't speak
for the FreeBSD developers but IMHO there's very little, if anything, that
can be taken from Hurd and imported into FreeBSD (or Unix in general). Yes,
you can ran a BSD server on top of Mach (MacOS X) but it's not the same as
Hurd does.

I would find it far more interesting to take some Plan9 ideas than the ones
that could be taken from Hurd.

It seems like the only reason that project is alive is to satisfy RMS' ego :-)
Err, did I say that? Nervermind.

Cheers,

--
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net