Date:      Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:06:39 +0200
From:      Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
To:        Gary Corcoran <garycor@comcast.net>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lucent modem ? where it is ?

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 03:48:40PM -0400, Gary Corcoran wrote:
> Seems you got a "soft modem", which really isn't a modem, but
> only a codec (analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog converters).
> The rest is done by (windows) software.  Your Pentium is responsible
> for doing all the work that the DSP of a regular modem does, and so
> you don't just need a "driver" in the usual sense.  Which is why the
> normal Lucent driver won't work, and why you can't just "get specs"
> to drive it.  In other words, the "driver" has to contain full
> Digital Signal Processing code (plus the usual driver code) to
> send/receive all the complex audio tones that a modem handles (in
> real-time, of course).  This is so the manufacturer could save a
> couple of dollars (instead of buying the real modem chip)...

Your story is true, but doesn't really address the issue.

What was meant by "the Lucent driver" (see ports/comms/ltmdm) is a driver
for (some of) the ISA/PCI type Lucent softmodems.

It is not suited for this type of system (AMR/AC97) (yet).
Whether the same driver could be made suitable easily is something I don't
know without looking more at it. (Depends on whether it is the same codec
probably)

Mark

--
Mark Santcroos                    RIPE Network Coordination Centre
http://www.ripe.net/home/mark/    New Projects Group/TTM