Date:      Fri, 03 May 1996 02:37:23 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dependencies...how do they work?

"Marc G. Fournier" wrote in message ID
<Pine.NEB.3.93.960502210132.13930A-100000@freebsd.ki.net>:
> 	I'm just curious how exactly the .depend file is created...
> what does it base its information on?

If you run `top' during a mkdep, you'll see it runs the relevant C
files through the CPP to get that information.

> 	I just tried to rebuild libutil, and got an error of:

> 'Can't make pte.h'

> 	Or similar to that...

> 	pte.h was just removed, but even doing a 'make clean; make depend'
> on the directory comes up with that error, and the .depend file has it in
> it.

> 	I checked setproctitle.c (which is what .depend seems to think
> needs pte.h), and there is no include there.  Nor can I find it in
> any of the include files on the system.  I ended up just editting .depend
> and removing that one entry to get past it...but I seem to recall someone
> mentioning that editting the .depend file is "!A Good Thing(tm)"

Did you have an `obj' subdir/symlink? This make be a bogon somewhere :-(

Gary
--
Gary Palmer                                            FreeBSD Core Team Member
FreeBSD - Turning PC's into workstations. See http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/ for info.