Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:23:38 -0500
From:      "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pkg_add   save package tar file

Joe & Fhe Barbish(barbish@a1poweruser.com)@2002.02.24 19:00:02 +0000:
> I checked those 3 places and the package tar is not there.
> My interpretation of what the man page says about environment
> variables PKG_TMPDIR and TMPDIR, as this is where the tar is
> uncompressed into and files played with before being put
> in final locations. After the package is installed this area
> must be cleared because it was empty.
>
> Does pkg_add have a pre-fetch option like the make command does?

pkg_add will fetch the package before installing.  I've usually seen the
files in /var/tmp.  See /etc/defaults/make.conf for the PKG_TMPDIR or
TMPDIR if they're defined there.

Using pkg_add -r package will fetch and install the dependencies for the
desired package.

If you have drive space and the cpu time, why not use the ports collection
and build from source?

--
Scott Nolde
GPG Key 0xD869AB48