Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:40:47 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        "Daniel Andersson" <engywook@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tuning: 100mbit faster, gbit slower.

--nextPart1574323.vpPRRNzLlh

On Monday 24 March 2008 06:22:12 am Daniel Andersson wrote:
> Thanks for the reply! Maybe I should have been more clear.
> My setup looks like this:
> internet - em1(server box) em0 - windoze desktop.
>
> The internet(em1) 100mbit seems to do fine, even better than
> before, I get about 11mb/s with rtorrent(uploading). It's the
> internal gbit connection that's weird with ftp. It not as fast nor
> as smooth as it was before I did the "tuning". I doesn't have
> any trouble running ftping at 30mb/s after the tuning so it is
> definately capabel of delivering 100mbit?

<snip>

I think we are having a terminology problem here.  Are you meaning 30mb/s a=
s=20
in 30 megabits per second (30% of 100TX speed) or do you mean 30 MB/s as in=
=20
30 Megabytes/sec?  I think in rereading you post you are meaning Megabytes=
=20
but using the terminology for megabits.

So here's what I've done to nearly saturate gig-e.  Keep in mind that I hav=
e=20
15k SAS drives and intel gig-e adapters that aren't sitting in 33mhz 32bit=
=20
PCI slots, single IDE/SATA drives are going to be a bottleneck as are 33mhz=
=20
32bit PCI NICs.

This is on RELENG_6_3

net.inet.tcp.sendspace=3D262144
net.inet.tcp.recvspace=3D262144
kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=3D1048576
ifconfig em0 mtu 9014 (You'll need a switch that supports jumbo frames to d=
o=20
this)

iperf shows wire traffic around 969 mbps and FTP runs at 110 Megs/sec
scp/sftp appears to be cpu bound at 45 Megs/sec, and NFS with TCP mounts an=
d=20
send/receive packets set to 16384 manages about 90 Megs/sec.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB