Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 01:39:42 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org (j mckitrick), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: quote about open source

> > Open Source projects frequently discuss the evolution of their
> > project; innovation really requires revolution, not evolution,
> > for it to be innovation.
> >
> > Most innovation does not come out of the processes of large
> > projects or companies, Open Source or commercial, academic or
> > professional, research or project developement.  It comes out
> > of small groups, usually with 6 or fewer members, and usually
> > driven by a goal that has been defined in advance.  The small
> > amount of innovation which doesn't fit this mold is accidental,
> > serendipitous.
>
> I disagree with that.  A truly revolutionary idea is always
> "accidental, serendipitous".  Of course, it seems to happen more
> to some people than to others; that's a characteristic of their
> personalities, that they don't think along conventional lines.

As an example, Linux, 386BSD, and Apache all have their roots
in very small, highly connected groups.  At the early stages,
these were revolutionary ideas, and they have collected much
lint from their beginnings.

Soft Updates came out of Ganger and Patt's leap-frogging of the
USL patented Delayed Ordered Writes approach -- by quite a margin.

Open Source is not really revolutionary.  The valuation model is
not really sustainable.  Even now, we are seeing the formation of
the immune response, and it's been gaining momentum.  One only
has to take a look at some of the needlessly complex RFC's being
put out there for nominally "open" standards to see how companies
are combatting being marginalized by the free stuff.  Good enough
is the enemy of better.  If you want to trace it back, probably
one of the turning points was the increase in complexity of the
LDAP protocol.  It was clearly an attempt by Netscape to control
the playing field by controlling the minimum complexity needed to
be implemented in order to play in that space.  Microsoft and Sun
have taken that ball and run with it, to the detriment of the
industry.  Some of the new "standards" are so complex that it's
questionable whether a traditional Open Source approach could
even field an entry.  I'm rather convinced that the OpenLDAP
project would not have been able to do a v3 implementation, except
that it has a small, focussed team.  It certainly would have failed,
were it the size of a FreeBSD or a Linux.

> But you cannot decide to have a revolutionary idea, and you
> can't set up a small group of 6 people and tell them to have
> a revolutionary idea.  Either it comes or it doesn't.  It may
> well come when you're looking for something quite different.

One or two people generally have the idea; either it occurs to
one person, or it arises out of direct interaction between two
or more actors.

But an idea is a seed, not a revolution in the offing.  To grow
the seed into a revolution, requires gardners.

> What your group of 6 people may do is develop a new and better
> compression scheme, natural language processing system, whatever.
> But that's evolution, not revolution.  In hardware matters (new
> kinds of storage media, new processes for fabricating chips, etc)
> such advances seem to come from much larger, and very well
> funded, groups.

That's incrementalism.  You really need to read "The Innovator's
Dilemma".  Large, successful companies, by their very nature, are
not capable of making counter-intuitive leaps.  The company
structure is, in fact, rewarded for risk reduction, to the extent
that it actually penalizes innovation.  When disks went from 14
inches to 8 inches to 5 1/4 to 3.5 to 2.8... at each stage, the
previous players were, without fail, marginalized or even went out
of business.

> Can you name any "revolutionary" ideas that actually came out of
> small groups which were set up to look for revolutionary ideas,
> or from individuals who planned to look for such ideas anyway?

Lockheed skunk-works.  Xerox PARC.  IBM Almaden.  MIT Media Lab.
Martin-Marietta.  Boeing.  The Manhattan Project.  The Chicago
atomic pile.

History is rife with small teams that have launched huge
revolutions; some have even been very reluctant (e.g. Kepler
and Brahe hated each other; Brahe actually died from a burst
bladder because he refused to use the bathroom in Kepler's
house).  I seem to remember a couple of gentlemen who wrote
under a shared penname of "Publius" ...The Federalist Papers.
8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---