Date:      Sun, 8 Aug 1999 21:28:25 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        brian@pobox.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

At 10:31 PM -0700 8/6/99, Gregory Sutter wrote:
>Jordan,
>
>You know how you're constantly talking about having huge numbers of
>things that need to be done, and nobody actually doing them?  Well...

So, you start out by saying Jordan has complained about "nobody
actually doing things".

> >On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 05:48:44PM -0700, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> > > If the advocacy team wants to work on turning the FreeBSD
> > > 4.0-RELEASE release into a major event, I'll contribute articles
>
>1.  Brian will contribute articles.

Which is to say, "Brian has not (as of yet) actually written any
articles".

> > > on how it's helped me develop for the Nintendo 64, foot the bill
> > > to enlist a couple artists' help in producing a nice cover and
>
>2.  Brian will pay the bill for cover artwork for a CDROM.

Which is to say, "Brian has not (as of yet) actually done anything
to result in new cover artwork".

> > > help strategize a nice PR maneuver to coincide with release. I
>
>3.  Brian will assist with PR, something that is sorely needed.

Which is to say, "Brian has done nothing for FreeBSD pr, except bitch
about how everyone isn't pleased about all the things he has honestly
offered to do".  The offer is appreciated, but all *I* have noticed
from Brian is the bitching in this thread.

(note that I'm not anywhere near the inner circle of the freebsd
project, I just like the OS and use it on one or two machines I run)

> > > *strongly* believe in FreeBSD, and I'll do what I can to help it
> > > along.
>
>4.  He is planning unspecified future help in addition to the three
>    things above.

Which is to say, "In addition to the above things that Brian has not
done (as of yet), there are other things he also has not done, which
would benefit FreeBSD once he actually does those things".

Now, let me see.  How is it that Jordan can complain about nobody
actually DOING things?   Doing.  As in "done".   As in past tense,
as in you can point and say "See, this is DONE".

> On Fri, Aug 06, 1999 at 09:51:31PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> I've also said many times that anyone with better artwork to
>> suggest need only step forward with said artwork and I'd be
>> more than happy to consider it - where do you think the original
>> "daemon walking out of a CD" artwork came from?
>
> You didn't say it to him.

Jordan has said it multiple times in multiple mailing lists
to just about anyone who will listen.  Anyone waiting for an
engraved invitation to them, personally, is expecting a little
too much, me thinks.

Now, you might thing "But Jordan should be thrilled at all these
offers".  Well, offers don't always pan out.  Not even honest and
well-intentioned offers.  You might also ask "Why is this Garance
character butting in?".  Because I am one of those guys Jordan has
had to deal with, who has also made honest offers.  For the *3.0*
CD, Jordan made a call for anyone and everyone to come up with
artwork.  That was over a year ago.  I have a couple of ideas
that I kind of like, and a friend of mine who does this kind of
art work.  It's been more than a year now, and between one thing
or another we *still* haven't managed to submit anything.

In all that time, Jordan has been quite encouraging.  Whenever I
send him mail (or comment on a mailing list), he has said "Hey,
whenever you have something, send it in!  If it won't work for a
CD-cover, maybe we could use it for a T-shirt or something!".
(and I really do mean to get something sent in soon, Jordan.
honest, maybe even next week...).  Given that the freebsd project
constantly sees guys like me come along, you'll have to pardon
people if they don't immediately swoon with ecstasy when you offer
to do something "in the future".

Also during that time, several others have come up with artwork
of one form or another, and just announced it on this freebsd
advocacy list.  Even if people don't get all excited about the
offers, I've never seen anyone anywhere complain about an ACTUAL
(ie, "DONE") contribution.  People might not want your artwork
as a CD-cover either, in which case you'll be in the same boat
as Jordan was after the waiter-Daemon...  :-)

In the words of Nike, "Just Do It".  Don't bitch about it, just
do it.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute