Date:      Wed, 09 Feb 2000 10:19:50 -0600
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   VmWare Performance

Hello all,
	I've been playing around with the new WMWware(beta) port on 4.0 current
using the -rawdisk option to load my win98(dual boot machine) as the guest
operating system. I've created an alternate hardware profile, and
everything seems to be detected and running fine within win98, but guest
operating system runs about the speed of win98 running on a 386
machine(menus seem to pop up quickly, but are really slow when they have to
access disk, or load new info).
	I've increased the RAM available to 72, and installed the rtc kld(?) but
performance still sucks. Current my system is a thinkpad 600, PII 300, 128
Ram with 4.0 current (2/1/2000?). Has anyone else used the rawdisk option?
Or booted an existing OS, or installed new versions of win98/95 in virtual
partitions? And if so whats the performance like?..

I thinking it may have something to do with the raw partition read/write
access, and FAT32??...

p.s. Can you CC me any responds, I'm only on questions...THanks!

Jonathan E. Lyons
parrothd@midwest.net			Nucleus Consulting
ICQ # 14226912			www.nucleusconsulting.com
Cell # 773-251-1967			A+, MCSE, CCNA, FreeBSD!