Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 10:34:03 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Steve Price <steve@freefall.freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .depend

>Richard Wackerbarth writes:
>>>I think we should add an enviroment variable (e.g. DEPENDFILE) to
>>>make(1) for `.depend'. mkdep -f foo support different depend files.
>>
>>Why change "make"?
>
>Because .depend is wired in make(1). There is no way
>to stop make(1) to read .depend if exists. There is no way
>to use an other depend file, e.g. `.depend.i486' or
>`.depend.hostname'.
>
>Example
>$ mkdep				 <cpp options> <files>
>$ mkdep -f .depend.debug -DDEBUG <cpp options> <files>
>$ mkdep -f .depend.i386 -Di386   <cpp options> <files>
>
>You can now include .depend.debug in ./Makefile, but make(1) also
>read .depend because it exists.

In general, including ".depend" would not break anything. ".depend.debug"
would simply make it redundant. If this is not the case, you probably
should not generate it in the first place.

You also could pass the name of the desired depend file from the command line.

However, IMHO, this is not really the proper usage. The .depend files are
derived from the sources under the direction of the command line flags. The
resulting objects should be placed in differect directories. The .depend
file that corresponds to that set of objects should be placed in the
directory with the objects rather than in the sources.

IMHO, this entire discussion results from a fundamental error in the
methodology of building multiple versions from a single set of sources.
Rather than "kluge" something else into "make" so you can "get by", we
should fix the methodology.