Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:01:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Das Devaraj <das@netcom.com>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What else goes with it (was Re: New name?)

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Dan Janowski wrote:

> Das Devaraj wrote:
> > The FreeBSD community at large may not want to change the name,
> > but some enterprising souls may repackage the same thing with a
> > catchy name (since redistribution seems to be allowed) and make
> > a few bucks.  Any takers on this? :-)
>
> This seems more reasonable. [SNIP]

Thanks!

> Redistribute it as?:
>
> BSD-x86
> A Berkeley Operating System
> Development by FreeBSD

If FreeBSD is repackaged to be sold, keep in mind that the intended
market will not be those who are currently buying FreeBSD CDs from
Walnut Creek CDROM or those installing over the net.  In other words,
the current experts will not want to touch it, newbies may be another
story.

Some of the changes which will have to folded in (off the top of my
head) to make corporate / business buyers comfortable are

- Specify whom this system is for
  (currently FreeBSD seems geared for server applications)
- What kind of hardware is needed to run it
- What advantages will they get from using it
  (sorry, a technical description of BSD will not cut it)
- What kind of support they can expect from it
  (most businesses would rather pay money for support than
  hire expensive technical help)
- What kind of skill level is needed to operate it
  (many people who post to various FreeBSD mailing lists seem to
  know *way more than* what even experts in the business world know)
- What will be the channel
  (will it be distributed by Walnut Creek CDROM -- probably I can
   ask them, have an office only a few miles from them!  Or will
   it be distributed by VARs?)

The point which I am trying to make (which is hopefully abundantly
clear by now) is that a name change / repackage is not just a game
of coming up with a "cutesy" name, but rather a whole business plan.

> Does this cause legal problems? DG? What are the
> restrictions on 'Unix'?

Don't know about Unix.
UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group.
See http://www.OpenGroup.org

das