Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:10:37 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Things I'd like to see in 2.2.6

Richard Wackerbarth wrote:

> At 5:11 AM -0600 2/20/98, Studded wrote:
>
> >2. Upgrade xntpd. Currently version 3.4e is part of the base system.
> >That's several years and versions behind. The most current version of
> >xntpd is 3-5.92, and has many improvements in functionality, efficiency
> >and
> >stability. It compiles almost clean (just a few nits) on -Stable out of
> >the box. Philippe was gracious enough to volunteer to take a look at
> >this. I originally thought that this would be a -current thing, but if
> >the new sources go into /usr/src/contrib (which I understand is the way
> >of things now) it shouldn't be too tough.
> >More info: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/
>
> I just downloaded ntp-4.0.72.tar.gz and it installed perfectly on by 2.2.5+
> system. All I did was extract, configure, make. No editing necessary.

	I'm not familiar with 'ntp-4.0.72'. Where did you get it?  I got xntpd
3-5.92 from the site listed above, and based on the file structure of
the sources in that file it appears to be the successor to what we have
in our tree. And I didn't need to edit anything in the xntpd archive I
installed, it just had a few minor compiler warnings, mostly related to
discarding const info.

Hope this helps,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest