Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 21:01:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Abene <phiber@phiber.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/31967: reboot/shutdown hangs on Sony VAIO 505 w/FreeBSD-4.4

>Number:         31967
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       reboot/shutdown hangs on Sony VAIO 505 w/FreeBSD-4.4
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Since doing a full "make world" upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4, neither shutdown
nor reboot act as expected.  My Sony VAIO 505EX shuts down cleanly, it
syncs the disk, prints the uptime, then locks SOLID.  Ctrl-Alt-Del won't
work, and I have to hard power-cycle the laptop.  This is affecting reboot
as well as shutdown -p and shutdown -h.  All freeze after the uptime is
displayed.  This didn't happen with 4.3, nor as far back as I can remember
(2.2.x and 3.x always shutdown/rebooted fine with PAO, FWIW).  Turning off
APM made no difference, so I doubt that's related...
>How-To-Repeat:
Try shutting down or rebooting, and it will hang solid after printing
the uptime, every single time without fail.