Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:23:00 -0800
From:      "Clint Martin" <clintm@cet.com>
To:        "Alex Toushek" <toushek@canadiangeneral.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <FREEBSD-QUESTIONS@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Secure user dirs

yes, if you have all the users being members of the same user group,  e.g:
USERS.. you can do something like this:

chmod 701 /home/*
chmod 704 /home/<USERDIR>/public_html/*

This will give each user's main directory permissions like:   RWX-----X
wich will allow them FULL access to everything in thier own directories.. it
will restrict other members of the USERS group (or whatever)  from accessing
anything in the directory (they won't even be able to chdir into it..)  and
it will allow all other users/people NOT in the USERS group to be able to
CHDIR into, but not read anything.. (they won't even be able to "ls" the
directory..)
the 704  permissions on each individual ./public_html/ directory is so that
APACHE, (or whatever you use as a server)  will be able to SCAN the
public_html directory.. it technically doesn't have to be able to, but it
may be nice for it to..

Clint