Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 14:17:25 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>, Kirk Fort <kirk@patrohn.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD finances

At 11:48 AM 11/14/98 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

>It's a well-known fact that Jordan Hubbard is the CEO of FreeBSD Inc.

True. But is he the owner? If not, who owns how much of it?

>To the best of my knowledge, "FreeBSD" is not a trademarked term.

If it weren't, it could be claimed by BSDI. This would not be good!
I certainly hope it *IS* trademarked.

>As for the hardware; most of what's been purchased by FreeBSD Inc. is
>scattered to the far corners of the globe, in the hands of developers.
>Most of the hardware the Project uses is actually funded by Walnut Creek
>CDROM.

True. But if it's a privately held corporation, and it's been given stuff,
that's income -- and the gain should be reflected either on a corporate
tax return or on the tax returns of the private owners. Otherwise,
the US Government could go after FreeBSD, Inc. and do nasty things --
including possibly seizing some of that equipment. If it really is
a full-fledged private corporation, keeping legal is extremely
important.

>Some contributed funds have been used to purchase consultant time to
>address specific problems.

Which is good. Again, though, there's paperwork associated with doing
this -- and penalties if you don't send in the proper forms.

--Brett