Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 02:16:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports tidy-up sweep

 * If I read this correctly, a correctly-formatted md5 entry for an
 * 'ignored' file will be :
 *
 * MD5 (foo.bar.gz) = IGNORE
 *
 * Is that right?

Yes.  Of course, the "MD5" in the front and parens are not really
necassary but it's easier to just copy the existing format (and
minimize bsd.port.mk changes.... :)

 * Sounds reasonable, especially if you're in a position to enforce it.
 * From my point of view, I have to trust that the contents of the md5
 * file is a definitive list of all the files that the port uses.  I tried
 * various hacks using make to emit the list of files used by the port,
 * but that blows the tree scan time out by an order of magnitude, which
 * really isn't an option.

I understand.  The only real "correct" way to do it is go through make
but that's really going to be dog-slow (I know 'cause I build the
INDEX file regularly!).

I think the best we can do is to make the framework as powerful as
possible so the porters don't need to set MD5_FILE.  (For instance,
the recent addition of ${DIST_SUBDIR} in front of the md5 pathname got
rid of www/netscape3/files/md5.gold.)

 * As it is just now, I only have one port left to complain about;
 * postgres-95.
 *
 * Why does it have three md5 files, where two of them are for the
 * flex-2.5.2 binary package?  With flex in the tree now, this seems
 * silly.

And usr/src flex just went up to 2.5.4. ;)  It will be great if this
port can be updated to use the one we already have....

 * Thanks immensely for your support with my annoying feature requests!

No problem -- your "feature requests" are very helpful for me to
review the ports framework, and have led to a number of important
improvements.  (Or am I giving myself too much credit here. :)

Satoshi