Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2014 22:36:55 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: file systems

from illoai@gmail.com:

> On 26 March 2014 15:38, Friedrich Locke <friedrich.locke@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi folks,

> > i am in need to install *BSD on a 16T partition. I would like to OBSD, but
> > someone from the OBSD community told me that altough OBSD uses ufs2, fsck
> > would take to much time and memory against this partition.

> > I wonder if FBSD can really handle large partition with no side effects.
> > What FS should i use with FBSD?

> > Sorry if this question seems to basic; it dues to my lack of experience
> > with FBSD.

> You're talking about a single filesystem of 16TB?  Well, depending
> on how you plan to use it, that might work.  It will probably take
> several GB of memory to fsck such a monster.

> You can use zfs, which will need several GB of memory all of the
> time, but was designed to handle such terrible big things.

> FreeBSD also recently (in the last decade) added SU+J
> (q.v. http://jeffr-tech.livejournal.com/22716.html )
> which may work for such a horrible large thing.

You don't say how much RAM you have, and I am not familiar with how much RAM is needed to fsck a big ufs2 file system.

I would look into SU+J.

My biggest hard drive is 3 TB, and biggest partition only a small percentage of that, and OpenBSD can't read any part of it.

I don't think OpenBSD would be suitable.  OpenBSD lacks support for GPT, also no support for USB 3.0.

Only way I use OpenBSD is live USB from liveusb-openbsd.sourceforge.net .  I managed to get X to start by tweaking an xorg.conf from NetBSD, but still the mouse pointer remained invisible.  Only way I know the mouse pointer existed was by what part of the screen became active.  So that USB stick sits inactive most of the time.

Tom