Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 2010 00:39:08 -0800
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smb driver for Nvidia ION (intel ATOM) chipset

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 09:09:13AM +0100, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Re: smb driver for Nvidia ION (intel ATOM) chipset writes:
>
> >I'll go and find some information about what HWM chip is tied on
> >that board...
>
> regarding to
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1199797&page=4
>
> It got an ITE 87 sensor... This is what Linux detects:
>
> Driver `it87':
>  * ISA bus, address 0x290
>    Chip `ITE IT8720F Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

I don't know if lmsensors on Linux supports SMBus or not, but it looks
like (based on the above) that you should be able to communicate with
the IT8720F chip using LPC/ISA on port 0x290.

I'm pretty sure the ITE chips have their specifications and engineering
datasheets publicly available.

My guess is that mbmon lacks support for this specific IC, or has buggy
support.  For example, it may have "IT87 support", but maybe only for
IT8705F and not for IT8720F; this is why vague classifications and
lumping multiple devices under one hood is often a bad idea.

> Driver `coretemp':
>  * Chip `Intel Core family thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

CPU core temperatures for that CPU family come directly from the CPU
itself, and not usually through a H/W monitoring IC (though sometimes
they can be routed through PECI; gotta love acronyms!).

FreeBSD has the coretemp(4) driver for Intel CPUs and the amdtemp(4)
driver for AMD CPUs; this should suffice for monitoring your CPU cores.
Intel and AMD both started adding on-die thermal monitoring to their
CPUs somewhat recently (past 3-4 years).

> So now I just need to find out why the it87 gets not choosen by
> mbmon... maybe the 8720 is just not supported right now - I'll
> probably have to take a look at Linux lm-sensors since it is working
> there...
>
> "Int.Tec.Exp. Chip IT8705F/IT8712F or SIS950"

Good luck -- I've spent hours upon hours digging through lmsensors, and
the code is quite possibly the worst bunch of spaghetti I've ever seen.
I'd recommend going straight to the datasheets.

If you'd like, I can code up something that uses LPC/ISA to communicate
with this IC via port 0x290 based on the datasheet.  It's pretty easy,
but will require that the program be run as root (to open /dev/io).  I
won't integrate it into bsdhwmon because that software strictly uses
SMBus.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |