Date:      Sun, 23 Dec 2001 18:25:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
Cc:        re@freebsd.org, qa@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: regression tests for possible sysctl kern.disks/libdisk changes/mfc

Jordan,

Can you clarify a couple of things for me?

(1) What exactly broke in sysinstall due to not having the names sorted?
    Was it just a slight visual glitch, or were there fairly material
    problems?

(2) What are the downsides to not merging this feature: do we lose the
    ability to do something that we might otherwise have?  Do things look
    better?

(3) What are the risks?  What can possibly go wrong? (sysinstall might
    multiply list devices, might not list some devices, might offer
    devices inappropriate to install on, ...

I'm cerainly not opposed to this type of change, but if there are
observable risks with no real payoff, I'm not sure it's worth those risks.
If there's little risk, and lots of payoff, then that is different, of
course :-).