Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 20:43:44 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        kluxford@bs.monash.edu.au
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Using boot.flp to establish BSD

KEVIN LUXFORD stands accused of saying:
> Following my message of a couple of days ago I have tried to load
> FreeBSD by booting the machine from a floppy containing boot.flp as
> created by rawrite.exe.  I have tried FTP from my local mirror site
> (physics.usyd.edu.au), I have tried a parallel lap-link cable using
> fault virtual address = 0xefdc4260
> fault code                 = supervisor write, page not present
> instruction pointer   = 0x8:0xf0199f36
> code segment         =base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                                 =DPL 0, pres 1, def32, gran 1
> processor eflags    =interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process      = 59 (ifconfig)
> interrupt mask       = net tty
>
> At which point, the machin hangs.  Can you see what is going wrong?

I thought I'd replied to this already; perhaps not.  You have a hardware
problem.  Either memory, cache or possibly your ethernet card (I don't
know what you have, so I can't be sure)

Tell me about your motherboard (brand, chipset), your processor, the
speed of your main memory; what happens when you try the install with
your motherboard cache disabled.

Also if you've wound your ISA bus clock up above 8MHz, take it back down,
and return any other BIOS settings to their defaults.

FreeBSD pushes your hardware a lot harder than anything else; if you
have a problem, this is what you'll get.

> Kevin Luxford

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[