Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:50:01 -0500
From:      em1897@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 much slower than i386 on FreeBSD 5.4-pre

I think the point of a list is so that someone can say "oh yes, I had
problems with the
em driver in amd64 also; try card X." But instead you get a lot of
people with no real
idea trying to explain away the problem, as if there is no chance that
the amd64
implementant just plain sucks wind. If someone who actually has an
amd64 build
could post some usage/load numbers, or someone who did some testing
with
various hardware, that might be useful.  So far what we have is like a
bunch of
Mothers trying to defend their children without having any viable
answers or
evidence than amd64 is any good at all. Only a people who say
nonsensical
things like "my opteron blows away any P4", like a kid bragging about
his
mustang or something.

The em driver has a standard hold-off of 8000 ints/second, so thats not
likely
the problem. Its likely to be the same in both i386 and amd64, so its a
control.

<snippage>
So the whole interrupt/process switching mechanism runs like crap with
the amd64 build? Since I don't have a amd64 system, and you might hav
access to atleast 1, how about getting a little info on the irqs? Look
at systat -vmstat or vmstat -i under load? aybe report it back? I
wonder if the irq rates are changing, or irqs are taking longer to
service. Either there is a problem. Ofcourse some hardware info would
be nice, chipset and cpu? Maybe you script vmstat -i for a log, and use
netperf too?
I like Nick's followup. I would guese Boris may have a problem with
proper hardware support. I can't really said it is bad hardware if
speeds are the same, just high load(right?). Maybe the driver he is
using is not good for 64bit as it is for 32bit?

I think if Boris studies the thread I like to below he will be alright.

Check this out:
http://www.atm.tut.fi/list-archive/freebsd-stable/thrd66.html
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?200502171636.10361.drice

Inparticular: