Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2019 22:20:33 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
Subject:   Re: "Smartness-free" web browser?

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:18:30 -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Dear Experts,
>
> I am looking for "Smartness-free" web browser. In the past I was using
> midori, but today I was bitten in my backside by "smartness" introduced
> into latest midori.
>
> Why. I have a bunch of machines with older 3ware RAIDs. The last I loved
> for having web interface. To the contrary to command line, especially in
> case of hardware RAID management, it is much more difficult to screw up
> when using GUI.
>
> In the past, when firefox went all the way about SSL certificates,
> midori was my life preserver. I do access these RAID web interfaces
> locally, and I do know what's going on inside these machines... I can
> disable SSL in 3ware RAID daemon (this time it just doesn't accept
> certificates 3ware daemon presents - to way for me to affect that that I
> can find) but... I just don't like some piece of software thinking it is
> smarter than I am when I use it. Dough.
>
> Any suggestions, anybody?

Depends of "how un-smart" it has to be... ;-)

You should first examine which features you cannot live without,
such as:

	- supports frames
	- supports Javascript
	- supports Java applets
	- supports HTML5
	- supports images
	- supports secure connections
	- supports specific extensions and non-standards
	- supports "Flash"

Those requirements are defined by how the programs, daemons, or
devices you with to interact with present their controls to the
user. The strangest and most stupid combinations of "features"
are possible.

There are lots of web browsers available with varying degrees of
complexity, dependencies, and "get-in-your-ways".

My personal preference is Opera, but that probably won't help you.
I have invested some time to make Opera work the way _I_ wish it
to work, which is quite opposite to what the developers decided
on making the default behaviour. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany