Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 1995 10:18:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook Stuff

Peter da Silva writes:

> Gary Clark II  <gclarkii@main.gbdata.com> wrote:
> >Another NOTE:  We may want to think about doing this for the sources also.
> >There are many files within the tree that say this coded was contributed
> >to UCB and name the author.   Make the copyright FreeBSD Project, Inc.
> >and give a credit within the license to the person who developed it.
>
> Is that legal?
>
> I'm not trying to stir up trouble or nothing, but it seems a little on the
> shady side. Please feel free to correct me if I'm confused...

It's up to a lawyer to determine whether it's legal or not.  I suspect
that it's legal if we want it to be.  Also, the issue of copyright
doesn't mean that other people can't copy it: it means that the
copyright owner has the right to decide whether other people can copy
it.

I think the basic intention of any copyright on the manual is that its
distribution shouldn't be restricted, and that the work of the
contributors should be acknowledged--very much the same as the
Berkeley copyright.  If you (doc people in general, not Peter) want to
assign copyright to somebody to protect this right, and you're worried
about FreeBSD Inc., how about assigning a fallback copyright to UCB,
or just assign it to UCB in the first place, assuming they're
interested in helping?

Greg