Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 2009 22:49:25 +0200
From:      Martin <nakal@web.de>
To:        piotr.smyrak@heron.pl
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no USB mice detected on GA-MA74GM-S2

Am Wed, 8 Apr 2009 21:08:05 +0200
schrieb Piotr Smyrak <piotr.smyrak@heron.pl>:

> First I started with my old build of 6.2, then upgraded to 6.4
> STABLE, to finally upgrade to 7.2 PRERELEASE in hope of fixing the
> issue. None of versions gave me USB mouse support. I have tried
> connecting 3 various mice. No luck. The only effect I can achieve
> after connecting a mouse, is a somewhat delayed message on console:

Hi,

I have had also problems with recent Gigabyte Mainboards and USB mice.
Something is really broken in this branch. Unlike you, I could always
get my mouse to work by re-attaching it. You should perhaps take a look
at the BIOS USB settings, so you could get at least the re-attaching
work-around to work.

BIOS settings that influence the behavior of USB mice are:
- any "legacy USB support" settings
- so-called "BIOS support for USB mice"

Because -STABLE has been really frustrating, I migrated all my desktops
to -CURRENT that has the new USB-v2 stack. The USB problems disappeared
there.

I'm overall satisfied with -CURRENT. I've always wanted to say that
FreeBSD developers do a really great job on the -CURRENT branch. It's
running very stable and has plenty of new features. I know I shouldn't
recommend to migrate to -CURRENT, but I'm almost sure, it runs much
better than every -CURRENT I've seen before and sometimes I have the
impression that it's even nicer than the -STABLE branch.

Everyone who does not like the buggy USB v1, could try to do a second
installation on a free partition to get rid of the annoyances.

--
Martin