Date:      Sat, 2 Apr 2005 15:44:02 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which mail server is the best for me?

On 2005-04-02 02:57, Pat Maddox <pergesu@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Apr 2, 2005 2:09 AM, Kiffin Gish <kiffin.gish@planet.nl> wrote:
>> I would like to setup a mail server but am a little confused about
>> whether to use sendmail, qmail, postfix or whatever. Basically my web
>> server is a simple one to be used for personal use with maybe no more
>> than a 10-20 mail accounts.
>>
>> What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of each choice, and
>> where can I find more information comparing them?
>
> I think it'd be worth it to check out postfix.  sendmail is insecure,
> and qmail is just too much of a pain in the ass to get working.
> postfix can take a bit of time, but it runs well once you've got it
> working.

``Sendmail is insecure'' is a broad statement that is no longer true,
but let's put that aside for a while.

The Sendmail version included in the base system of FreeBSD can handle
the load of 10-20 users (the projected load of the original poster's
machine) just fine.

Help about configuring Sendmail can be found in the Handbook, the lists
archives of this list and teh excellent articles posted by online
journalists like Michael Lucas, Dan Langille, and others.

Some useful references are:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/13
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/ct/15
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200411/keeping_freebsd_up-to-date.html
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200301/esa3.html
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200302/rancid.html
[...]

A Google search for "FreeBSD sendmail" will reveal thousands more.