Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 2002 20:26:26 -0800
From:      ANYBODY <somebody@kashmir.etowns.net>
To:        mikes@siralan.org, somebody@kashmir.etowns.net
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, gibbs@scsiguy.com, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adaptec ahc : seagate da : current

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 04:38:06PM -0800, ANYBODY wrote:

> > Have you done what he said?  man 8 camcontrol (see the "tags" subcommand).
> >
> > -Nate
> >

> Sorry dont know how but missed it. thank you for reminding.
> here is what I got:
> # camcontrol tags da0 -v
> (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): dev_openings  63
> (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): dev_active    0
> (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): devq_openings 63
> (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): devq_queued   0
> (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): held          0
> (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): mintags       2
> (pass0:ahc0:0:3:0): maxtags       255
>
> ----
> looks like i can set the dev_openings & devq_openings
> to anywhere between 2 and 255, with it being 63 now.
> I have no idea as to what, if at all would be a better
> number. any suggestions?
> Question does the kernel change these values dynamically
> perhaps as a result of the errors like the ones I am getting?
> If not howcome the problem occurs only if there is a little
> over moderate disk activity within probably a short while
> after bootup, and inspite of howmuch activity occurs later
> this problem most rarely occurs again.
> thanks and appreciate your help
> Saurabh Gupta

Answering my own question :
these values are indeed dynamic in a running system.
the cam driver or the kernel keeps negotiating!
@least thats what I found after picking the numbers
every few seconds for an hour.
during bootup my numbers were 255 for the dev*openings
and that is when the drive gets into trouble.
If the activity is mild in the begining(bootup) the
stable dev*opening values are probably negotiated down
smoothly in a little while......and when the
understanding of a stable number is low enough the
drive doesnt get stuck anymore.
I guess I should go read the camcontrol driver in
detail before sounding off my opinion anymore
or risk being one of the BLIND men trying to FEEL an
elephant!

IMHO
Saurabh Gupta